Saturday, January 5, 2013

Google vs. Microsoft *UPDATE*


The release of Windows Phone 8 brought along a bunch of new users who use many of Google's products. Google has a big presence on the internet so it's no doubt that a lot of internet users make use of their various products as such Gmail, Google Maps, Google Calendars, Google Drive, and more. Unfortunately, Google seems intent to prevent these users from easily using their products on their new Microsoft device.

Initially, Google made a statement that they wouldn't be concentrating on releasing their mobile apps on Windows Phone 8, all of which are readily available on iOS and of course, Android, due to the low marketshare. Google then stated that they would stop support for CalDAV, an internet standard for syncing, which would render Google Calendar useless for new users.

And now more recently, they seem to have blocked access to Google Maps via the mobile Internet Explorer web browser.

In the beginning, users were already having trouble accessing Google Maps via IE10 on their WP8 device but adjusting the settings on the mobile IE10 to display the "desktop" version would let users access Google Maps. Now, trying to access the site will just redirect to the mobile version of Google's homepage.

This constant battle between Google and Microsoft obviously irritates users, especially the many Microsoft fanatics who have already switched many of their Google accounts such as email and cloud storage to Microsoft's competing products in Outlook and SkyDrive.

Personally, I've always used Gmail, Google Maps, and Google Calendar, the last two sparingly. And obviously I'm using Blogger. I've used Gmail as my main email address since they began with the invitations. When I acquired my Nokia Lumia 920, I decided to switch over to Outlook to make email a bit more streamlined on my WP8 device. I still have my Gmail account but now just forward everything to Outlook and use it as my main email account.

Google Maps has always been the standard for me, as it has for many users. The main thing I've always used it for was local street traffic which Nokia Maps currently does not offer. However, since Inrix provides Google with this data I just use the Inrix app for local traffic now.

For Google Calendar, I've only used it because of it's easy to view "month view" on mobile apps so that I can quickly check my work schedules and appointments. Of course, there are plenty of other calendar apps which can easily take it's place but since Google Calendar has always worked for me, I've just stayed with it. I actually did use another calendar app when I had my iPhone 4 so that's not a big deal for me in regards to syncing.

But for those who rely more on the specific features of Google's many products, Google's apparent war against Microsoft is frustrating. Even though I don't rely heavily on Google's products, I too feel frustrated with Google's attempt to completely block off Microsoft. I am not a hardcore fanatic of Google, nor Microsoft. I use what works for my purpose and can adjust. But completely blocking off access to Google products on WP8 devices seems like a deliberate disregard to competition law.

Microsoft has stated, for example, that Google is withholding vital metadata so that Microsoft can release a proper YouTube app. In regards to the Google Maps issue, Google has stated that IE10 on WP8 doesn't use WebKit which is required for Google Maps to run properly. However, Microsoft has said that IE10 on the desktop and mobile devices are completely the same and Google Maps works perfectly fine if you use it on PC.

In the end, it only hurts the consumers. In some ways, I understand Google not wanting to support their products on competing devices. But Google has often stated that there isn't enough marketshare on Windows phones so why should they be scared? Probably because with the latest release of WP8, Microsoft is slowing creeping into the duopoly of iOS and Android. Hopefully Microsoft will continue to improve on their smartphones, luring in new and old users alike, so that WP devices get enough marketshare. This will inevitably lure Google to WP devices because in the end, it's all about money anyways.


*UPDATE* January 6, 2012

Google has now stated that the blocked access was because they were undergoing performance tests on the mobile site. Of course, many believe that this is just an excuse due to the fact that the news blew up overnight about Google's apparent antitrust behavior. We'll have to see how this on-going battle goes ...

Source : TheNextWeb





No comments:

Post a Comment