Monday, February 11, 2013

Lumia 920 Photo Walk (2/11/2013)



Since I currently have a week off of work due to getting my wisdom teeth extracted (not fun), I decided to do some photography with my Lumia since I was sick of being cooped up inside all day. This gave me a better opportunity to further test the add-on lens attachments I recently acquired, as well as the ProShot app.

After dropping off my doctor's note at work, I headed to the Golden Gate Bridge which is just a minute or two from my workplace. Slapping on the add-on fisheye lens was perfect for getting some interesting angles and perspectives. With my DSLR, I've done a few of these bridge reflection shots but the smaller form factor of the Lumia 920 made it a lot easier to get a low angle; plus I didn't have to worry about shutter speed with the OIS.




As mentioned in the add-on lens review, there is a more noticeable loss of contrast using the fisheye, but it's not too bad. The above photo was shot using the ProShot app and edited with Nokia's Creative Studio.

In difficult lighting situations such as the sun setting, the quick and easy exposure adjustments of the ProShot app was a highly welcome feature - no need to dig into menus to get the desired exposure.


The shot above was with the OEM lens, thus much more saturated and sharp. It was edited using Nokia's Creative Studio giving it even more pop to reflect the real scene.

The one thing to watch out for is the battery life - make sure you have a portable battery charger handy if you're planning to do intensive photography. I was shooting for roughly 40 minutes or so, taking about 35 shots in total. The screen was on most of the time (on high brightness) and my battery dropped from about 85% to 10-15% within that time.

This was the first time I was out shooting with solely the Lumia 920 and even without my DSLR, I felt like I could capture 90% of the shots I wanted. Personally I lean towards telephoto but for your average to wide focal lengths, the Lumia 920 is a perfect replacement for any standalone camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment